DRIVER Studies & Publications
This page gives access to DRIVER Studies and other Publications. Publications include articles, leaflets, online tutorials and other materials designed to inform and support the community. Please also visit the Learn about DRIVER website for project reports and downloads.
European Repository Landscape 2008 : Inventory of Digital Repositories
for Research Output
The European Research Repository Landscape 2008 by Maurits van der Graaf is an update of a similar study in 2006. It shows an increasing number of respondents and a further diversification in the character of a repository. These may be institutional or thematically based, and as such non-institutional as well. The ongoing process of widespread and diversification urges coherent approach, as a basic feature of repositories is the retrievability of information that may be dispersed over them. Continued monitoring of developments will be necessary.
Emerging Standards for Enhanced Publications and Repository
Technology : Survey on Technology
Emerging Standards for Enhanced Publications and Repository Technology by Karen Van Godtsenhoven et al. serves as a technology watch on the rapidly evolving world of digital publication. It provides an up-to-date overview of technical issues, underlying the development of universally accessible publications, their elemental components and linked information. More specifically it deals with questions as how to bring together the communities of the Current Research Information Systems (CRIS) and the Common European Research Information Format (CERIF). Case studies like EGEE, DILIGENT and DRIVER are analyzed, as well as implementations in projects in Ireland, Denmark and The Netherlands. Interoperability is the keyword in this context and this book introduces to new standards and to concepts used in the design of envelopes and packages, overlays and feeds, embedding, publishing formats and Web services and service-oriented architecture.
Enhanced Publications : Linking Publications and Research Data in Digital Repositories
Enhanced Publications by Saskia Woutersen-Windhouwer, Renze Brandsma, Peter Verhaar, Arjan Hogenaar, Maarten Hoogerwerf, Paul Doorenbosch, and Eugène Dürr, Ludwig Jens, and Birgit Schmidt is a state-of-the-art overview of the structural elements of an Enhanced Publication, as well as publication models, interrelationship and repository issues. In-depth study is made of object models and functionalities. More practically, a sample is given of datasets together with a demonstrator-project. In the final section, this book deals with long-term preservation issues, linking to the developments of digital repositories that are studied in other books in this series.
Inventory study into the present type and level of OAI compliant Digital Repository activities in the EU , by Maurits van der Graaf and Kwame van Eijndhoven, 2007, ISBN 9789053564103. Further details are available here and printed copies are available for purchase from Amsterdam University Press.
A DRIVER's Guide to European Repositories; Five studies of important Digital Repository related issues and good practices, edited by Kasja Weenink, Leo Waaijers and Karen van Godtsenhoven, ISBN 9789053564110. Further details are available here and printed copies are available for purchase from Amsterdam University Press.
The Investigative Study of Standards for Digital Repositories and Related Services , by Muriel Foulonneau and Francis Andrè, ISBN 9789053564127. Further details are available here and printed copies are available for purchase from Amsterdam University Press.
Please also see http://www.driver-repository.eu/Downloads for project reports and downloads.
Related to the DRIVER II project is the PEER
(Publishing and the Ecology of European Research) project, which is a
collaboration between publishers, repositories and researchers and will
last from 2008 to 2011.
Published reports for this project can be found at http://www.peerproject.eu/reports/.
- Alenka Kavcic-Colic (2009) "DRIVER II: PRILONOST ZA VECJO VIDNOST SLOVENSKIH RAZISKOVALCEV V SVETU" in KNJINICARSKE NOVICE 2 2009
- Introductory Video to the DRIVER Project
- Mentor Service Tutorial
- Tutorial for Repository Managers
- The DRIVER 2008 Inventory Study Deliverable Report
Technology Watch Deliverable Report.
It has come to our attention that the report, D4.3 Technology Watch, erroneously suggested that the company UNICRIS was no longer trading. This misinterpretation was by no means intentional, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. The report has been updated accordingly, and interested parties are referred to the company website http://www.unicris.com for further information.
- DRIVER European Network Plan Deliverable Report
Usability Study 2009, by University of Gent, Belgium,. The University
of Gent carried out a DRIVER Usability Study on the DRIVER Search and
Register your repository services for feedback from the research and
- Belgium as a Case Study for Best practice for National IR websites Deliverable Report and leaflet
- DRIVER II General leaflet
- DRIVER Mentor Service leaflet
- D-NET & DRIVER Information Space leaflet
- DRIVER II Studies
- Open Access & The DRIVER Vision
- DRIVER Guidelines Leaflet
- DRIVER, Libraries and Repositories Leaflet
- DRIVER Information for Research Funders Leaflet
- DRIVER II Poster - presented at Open Repositories 2008, 1-4 April 2008.
- Lossau, N. and Peters, D. (2008). "DRIVER:
Building a Sustainable Infrastructure of European Scientific Repositories."
Liber Quarterly 18(3/4): 437-448.
- Foulonneau, Muriel, A. Badolato, W.Horstmann, K. Van Godtsenhoven, M. Robinson, S. Jones, M. Feijen and K. Weenink, 'Réseaux d'archives institutionnelles en Europe: logiques de développement et convergences', aMETIST, Vol.2, Partie 2: Capitalisation/ Mutualisation, 2008, pp109-112
- D-NET v. 1.0 - In June 2008 DRIVER announced the software release of D-NET v. 1.0. The first of its kind, this open source software offers a tool-box for deploying a customizable distributed system featuring tools for harvesting and aggregating heterogeneous data sources. Further details and the official announcement are available from http://www.driver-repository.eu/DRIVER-News-Events/PR_D-NET_1_0.html
Usability Study, by University of Gent, Belgium, 2007. The University
of Gent carried out a DRIVER Usability Study on the DRIVER Search service
for feedback from the research community. Respondents from universities
in Belgium, France and the UK participated in a period of testing the
- DRIVER: Building the Network for Accessing Digital Repositories across Europe - Feijen et al., 2007. Ariadne Issue 53 October 2007.
- DRIVER Guidelines for Content Providers and Annexes - These Guidelines were developed to address key issues currently hampering the discovery and access of materials held in digital repositories. If you are interested in learning more about the guidelines please email the DRIVER Guideline Helpdesk.
- DRIVER Inventory study into the present type and level of OAI compliant Digital Repository activities in the EU - This version is a 'white paper'.
- DRIVER Review of technical standards - This is an earlier version of the "Investigative Study of Standards for Digital Repositories and Related Services study" available above.
- DRIVER Guidelines leaflet.
- DRIVER Information for Service Providers leaflet.
- DRIVER Information for Librarians and Repository Managers leaflet.
- DRIVER Information for Researchers leaflet.
- DRIVER Information for Funding Agencies leaflet.
- Leaflet with Information about the DRIVER studies.
- DRIVER FAQ leaflet.
- DRIVER II Poster.
- DRIVER II Pull-Up Banner.
Last updated: 04-Mar-2010